How to Select the Right Sealants for Your Fire Door InstallationPosted on 2022-10-18
Installing fire doors with the appropriate fire-rated materials is crucial to their performance when exposed to fire and smoke.
When selecting products to seal those important gaps between the back of the frame and the wall it’s important to make sure they’ve been tested in fire door assemblies to meet British Standards BS8214:2016.
Here’s what else you need to check:
ü Fire mastic should be an approved linear gap joint seal, successfully tested in accordance with BS 476-20 or BS EN 1366-4 for the required period of fire resistance.
ü Expanding foam should be an approved linear gap joint seal, successfully tested in accordance with BS 476-20 or BS EN 1366-4 for a minimum of 30 minutes fire resistance.
ü Mastic and expanding foam fire sealants can be used provided they have been included within a fire test between the door frame and surrounding structure, on a timber-based door assembly that has demonstrated a minimum of 30 min fire resistance in accordance with BS 476-22 or BS EN 1634-1.
If a product doesn’t display this information, it’s worth asking for test evidence to prove it has been tested to work in fire doors applications.
Our Fire Door FoamTM and Fire-rated Acrylic Sealant have been independently tested to meet these standards and provide fire protection for up to 60 minutes separately, and up to 120 minutes when applied together.
These are some of the basics you’ll need to know when applying these fire-proofing products:
· Apply Fire Door FoamTM for gaps up to 25mm to achieve 60 minutes fire protection.
· Add at least 10mm cap of Fire-rated Acrylic Sealant to achieve 90-120 minutes fire protection.
· Apply Fire-rated Acrylic Sealant for gaps below 5mm to achieve 60 minutes fire protection.
· The Fire Door FoamTM replaces the need for mineral fibre wool and is much quicker to install saving around 12 minutes per doorset installation.
· Both products have been fully tested for use with standard packers.
· Certifire approved cerficates: CF5839 & CF5840
Watch the video to see how to install these products together to achieve up to 120 minutes of fire protection https://bit.ly/FD90-120
For more information or advice get in touch with our team.
0121 521 2179 | firstname.lastname@example.org